Wednesday, March 29, 2006

10 Years Ago

In light of the brouhaha that has descended concerning the topic of illegal immigration, I'd like to quote from Dennis Miller circa 1996. It was a tough cookie, but I managed to find the entire context of these quotes online.
Based upon my suspected audience, I'll state upfront that the other crap on the page (what little I saw of it) was mostly that: crap. Parts of Miller's rant were vulgar as well. All that to say I won't post a link, but if you're dying to know, leave a comment and I can hook you up.

To spare you the gory details, here are the best parts...

"Begrudging someone else's existence just happens to be the most convenient way to validate our own and nowhere are these ego-driven prairie skirmishes more prevalent than the Tigris and Euphrates of immigration--good old America. Now listen, I'm all for legal immigration but I am unequivocally against illegal immigration. You know why? IT'S ILLEGAL!"

"(T)he favor of inclusion deserves the courtesy of assimilation. Make the effort. It's poor party manners to come to live in this country and then have a hissyfit because the parking signs aren't posted in Homong. Don't get uptight because your college is teaching courses on Emerson and Thoreau instead of 17th Century Javanese goat herd poets, and don't take your kid out of school because his third grade classmate colored Easter eggs but didn't conduct any Druid rituals."

"In return for unfettered economic opportunity and no government death squads, try to get along with your stepmotherland and don't be resentful if there's a set of house rules already in place. Go with the flow, pay your taxes, speak the language, garlic is NOT a cologne and, for [pete]'s sake, LEFT LANE FAST, RIGHT LANE SLOW."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The illegality of illegal immigration is my biggest reason to not fully support it.

I've got several problems with the whole immigration issue.

1) Many people are xenophobic. That ain't cool. Sure, some people could do a better job living here, but the citizens can be just as bad as the immigrants. I suspect half the reason people want the fence built and illegal immigrants kicked out is the aforementioned xenophobia. It's a bad reason.

I don't have time to write the rest of what I want to.

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home