Monday, May 07, 2007

Sarkozy Wins!

I don't expect many people to be caring about the recent elections in France. It's not really that high on my list of priorities, but I am glad that Sarkozy won. The main reason that people voted against him (at least as far as I've gathered) is because of his "neoconservatism" (read: smaller government, cutting taxes) and that he was too sympathetic to American interests. As far as I'm concerned that's enough to get me in his camp. If you're interested, you can read more. By the way, don't miss that bit about 84% turnout. I've only one word. Dang.

Beyond that, post-election "celebration" (cough) included this. Although this isn't record setting violence (see the last two paragraphs, and recall the young Muslims rioting in Paris last year), this confirms Sarkozy for me, and here's why: the candidate-of-choice for the sort of people who riot, set cars on fire, and beat on cops--that candidate is exactly who I do NOT want elected. The person who appeals to the element(s) of society whose response to not getting their way involves baseball bats and Molotov cocktails--again, not the person I want in office. Even if I were unaware of Sarkozy's conservative background, the fact that his victory pissed off thugs and hooligans to the point of violence, that's enough to earn him a gold star in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home